Given India’s rich landscape of investment opportunities, Bessemer uses its longstanding tradition of investment “roadmaps”, or areas in which investors develop deep sector expertise, to focus our efforts. Currently, the India investment practice concentrates on the following roadmaps:
- Internet and mobile: Increasing broadband and smart phone penetration has opened up the possibility of a variety of new businesses in India such as online retail, digital advertising, payment systems, mobile applications, social media applications etc. BVP with its successful history of investing in internet companies globally looks forward to working with exceptional founders in building great internet companies in India.
- Software products: Growing adoption of internet and computing in India is seeding a number technology based businesses aiming to deliver efficient products/services to consumers on one hand and SMEs and enterprises on the other hand in India and abroad. BVP with its vast experience of working with technology companies globally works closely with entrepreneurs in building world class companies in these areas.
- Financial services: India’s sustained, recent growth does not mask the fact that the country remains an under-served financial-services market. Life insurance penetration hovers at less than 5%, equity-market penetration is less than 10%, and fewer than 60% of households have access to banking services. Development of India’s financial- services sector will be a key driver of the country’s future growth. BVP works closely with entrepreneurs to target this opportunity.
- Health care: Quality healthcare remains inaccessible in India to a vast majority of population due to inefficient delivery mechanisms, low public expenditure, and low health insurance penetration. There is a large opportunity to create a better eco-system of services and products around insurance and technology. There is also a need for innovative healthcare delivery mechanisms including specialty chains, e-medicine, and public private partnerships. BVP works closely with outstanding entrepreneurs to realize these opportunities.
- Power and infrastructure: India’s growth has dramatized the need to expand its sources of power and upgrade its infrastructure. Recent spikes in the price of oil have added urgency to the importance of finding non-oil-dependent power sources and improving the efficiency of the physical infrastructure from power transmission to freight handling